Ringing in the Who Year
In preparation for the BBC America premiere of the new season of Dr. Who (9pm EST, Saturday, April 23rd), I have been doing what many Whovians over the age of twenty-one (in the US of course!) have been doing: scouring the internet for an awesome drinking game to play with my friends as we celebrate the return of the floppy haired, bow-tied Matt Smith as everyone’s favorite Gallifreyan. After some research, I created the list you find below from various sources. I also threw in some of my own flair, resulting in what I can only hope will make for an awesome night inside the TARDIS. Feel free to use this list as-is, or as a jumping off point to make your own. In putting my rules together, I tried to focus on three things:
- Keeping it concise. Tipsy people don’t tend to remember … well, anything, so keep it short and sweet.
- Packing a punch: I tried to guess which events would be most likely to crop up in the episode. I mean, we all love an appearance by the Judoon, but chances are you won’t be seeing one tomorrow night.
- Making it Eleventh Doctor specific. The best thing about the various incarnations of Doctor Who are that they all have their own unique tics. McCoy was a chess fiend, Tennant had his chucks, and Smith has his ‘turn of the century oxford professor shabby-chic.’ Also, River Song! (On a related note, Alex Kingston, marry me please [Editor’s note: Get in line!]).
Now for the obligatory reminder: Games are fun, but with cocktails, sometimes less is more, so don’t overdo it. And always always remember when getting a little “wibbly wobbly timey wimey” to pick a designated TARDIS operator in advance.
So, without further ado, I present to you the annotated Doctor Who drinking game!
Drink once when:
- The overly dramatic bit of music that is used in every episode plays.
- Someone says, “brilliant!”
- The Doctor references his other, previous selves.
- River Song mentions spoilers, handcuffs, or makes overt sexual innuendo.
- There is mention of the Doctor’s wacky outfits.
- There’s a reference to the crack in Amy’s bedroom wall.
- A ‘Doctor? Doctor Who?’ pun is made.
- The Doctor says ‘Geronimo!’
- For materialisation/dematerialisation. 2 drinks if the Doctor imitates the noise.
- The Doctor name-drops. 2 drinks if he adds an amusing comment about the famous historical figure.
Drink 2x when:
- The Doctor’s fun is ruined.
- A dalek appears.
- Rory dies.
- During the opening and closing theme.
- When the Doctor is sonic-ing something.
- Whenever the Doctor/Amy/Rory are shown running. Chug if it’s down a corridor.
- The length of time Doctor snogs/is snogged by someone.
The Eleventh Doctor Drinking Game! — The Facebook Group
The Doctor Who Drinking Game
Doctor Who Drinkin Game from the Escapist Magazine Forums